Monday, August 30, 2010

H Squared Mixtape Review/Interview


Hip-Hop music is taking over, if you have not already realized. It is played at all sports games, political events, and of course, at parties. I am not a huge Hip-Hop fan, but I thought it would be worthwhile to have a closer listen to a Hip-Hop mixtape from upcoming rap duo, H Squared. The group is comprised of two Brooklynites; Prince Hood and History. I heard one track a few months ago and thought the track was good. Now that the mixtape has been released, it is only fair to hear all that they have to offer.
The album is clear and direct. When I listen to underground artists, I listen out for clarity. I want to be able to always understand what the artists are saying. Heavy accents, slurred words, and shouting do not get my attention. I did not hear any of that on this mixtape. The hook of “Bounce C’mon” was aggressive, but it was fitting for the beat, therefore I would not qualify that as shouting, just being hype. Having DJ Don Demarco host the mixtape is a good look for the group. I do remember listening to reggae mixtapes with his voice hollering in the background. H Squared raps cleanly and they did not add extra words to a bar just to make everything fit in. They did not rap about crazy outlandish purchases, excessive amounts of sex, and all the other crap that is flooding rap music today. They promote themselves many times in a few tracks, so just in case you did not know who you were listening to, they make sure you do not ever forget.
Bounce C’mon, Caddy Coupe Freestyle and Swag Surfin freestyle are my most liked tracks on the mixtape. Fellas, keep up the good work!
When did you guys start rapping?

Hi$tory: "I would say I've been rapping since Junior High. I was freestyling and writing rhymes in my building’s hallway. That's when I wrote my first rhymes, but, doing it seriously as far as
shows and things of that nature; about three years."
Prince Hood: "I always had a way with words. I started out with poems, speeches, then remixing songs and freestyling with friends in high school. In 2002, after I tried my hand at managing artists, I started writing to the beats I was producing. Come to find out, I sounded good rapping so that was the official start of Prince Hood the Rapper."
Is rapping your only career goal?

Hi$tory: "Oh No. This is only the beginning, so it can't possibly stop here. We're looking for H Squared to be more than just a group or a band but a brand and God willing, a full-fledged label. Personally, I plan on going back to school to study veterinary medicine that along with music has always been goal of mine."

Prince Hood: "Oh No. I love producing records. I want to produce projects for other artists, get into movies, direct, and maybe even act. I just want to get into anything and everything that will make a profit and spark my interest."
What inspired this mixtape?

Hi$tory: "I think the title explains it all. We figured it was about time we released something and give the people an intro to H Squared, let them know what we're about and what we're trying to do. Hence, 'The Introduction of...'"

Prince Hood: "Yeah, the mixtape is an introduction of us, H Squared. It is our “Swavor” (combination of swag and flavor), our language, the way we move, our lives, and our culture, you know."
Did you enjoy the outcome?
Hi$tory: "I definitely enjoyed the process of putting our first project together, that was real cool to me. I learned a lot along the way, met a lot of people. The mixtape itself could have done better but I'm not disappointed in the least bit, it comes with the territory."
Prince Hood: "Enjoy it? I wouldn't say that. I enjoyed the process of making it: working with Hi$tory, with Eflat designing the cover and the website, and arranging the songs. Even though we're building a large internet presence, our downloads and listens don't show it. There's about 800 mixtapes and counting circulating the streets right now. I feel it was a success though. Shout out to everybody involved in the project."
What would you change?

H Squared: "The change would be in the promotion, marketing, and timing. Honestly we waited too long to release the mixtape so a lot of the songs we remixed were considered old at that time. We didn't build a good relationship with various blog sites. If we did, it would have helped build buzz around the mixtape. With the next mixtape or project we will have it available on every site possible for downloading."
When is the next mixtape coming out?

Prince Hood: "Soon lol. "

Follow us on Twitter: @HsquaredMusic, @HistoryHim, @PrinceHood
http://www.hsquaredmusic.com/
Edited By Jo Anne @MzFilterless

No comments:

Post a Comment