Friday, August 13, 2010

Pull up or Pay up?

By @Duboised


There is controversy all over the world concerning whether the "sagging pants law" is right or wrong. In my opinion, I disagree with it completely. I strongly believe this law is in place without any purpose and also violates our U.S Constitution’s First Amendment that gives us the privilege and guaranteed right to express ourselves freely. This First Amendment is the only written right that we as the people have full control over. Why vote for something that is capable of violating it?



Usually when I bring up this subject around my peers, the responses I get are, “No one wants to see a** cracks or young men's underwear” or “It just doesn't look right” or “It’s just not presentable.” Every time I hear those statements, it sickens me. WHAT DO YOU MEAN? Day by day, we are open to indecent exposure from the television sets, magazines, beaches, strip clubs. Why haven't the ladies that constantly wear cheesy swim suits or bikinis on a beach been issued a law against it yet? What about the strippers who promote themselves on Louisiana’s Bourbon St. seven days a week, half-naked, and even the common girl whose thong straps are visible in tight jeans - what about them? Where are the laws against those things? Exactly - there are none. So what is the purpose of this one? Thankfully, I know.



The purpose is a slippery slope. A
slippery slope is a law that persuades you into believing that the reasoning of it is right. Once the law is established, it will lead to more demands down the line. For example, when I started my new elementary school years back, my mother received a notice. The notice stated that we had to wear school uniforms that year. In addition, it gave details that every child was to wear a specific color shirt and pants regulated by the school. POW! That was it. Or at least we thought. As time went by and I reached high school, we had regulations on everything! I had to wear a certain shoe and shoe color, certain undergarments, a certain color jacket. I had to wear a belt and could not have any visible piercings. The uniform dress code went from simple to strict.




What I'm trying to prove is that it’s much deeper than this “sagging pants” issue. Giving the government more power to tell us what and how to wear our clothes can mean dictating our choices for life. If you cherish your privilege to make decisions on your own, why throw that away? Why let someone else make the choice for you? NO ONE should control how we dress. The sagging pants aren’t hurting anyone but those who are trying to dictate it. I love my freedom and I am sure you do too. So why give it up?








Picture Source: Photobucket









(Edited by Shannon -
@sprinkles__)



No comments:

Post a Comment