Saturday, September 25, 2010

Dream Act

(9/22/10)
Dear Alex and all you bright readers of this blog, 

Below is the letter of a DREAMER. Most people don't know what the Dream Act is. Basically, in a nutshell it is a bill in congress that would allow someone like my Colombian friend below have status in this country. How many of us take for granted things like, education, family and the privilege to be able to drive and work legally while there are people who would give anything to be in our shoes? 

I have included the link below where there are five reason why to vote for the DREAM Act.




Yes, the bill failed once again today. However, it was not voted for. This means it was voted as an attachment on to the Defensive Authorization Bill. Nonetheless, we urge friends like yourself to spread the word, enlighten people about the issue. Educate them. Most people don't know or have heard only rumors, but don't know the facts! This creates problems. I understand there is a lot of politics involved; that is why the common person could care less, however this is an issue that I feel is unfair and unjust because these are students with great potential who would be a great asset to the country!

Today was one of my longest days. I had three classes back to back, and I was desperate to know the outcome of the vote today at 2:15pm. At that time I was in my public policy class. I kept watching the clock, I noticed the clock ticked the long awaited time; right at that time my politics professor was discussing the role of the president as a key player in the agenda making  of the USA. I was wondering to myself, why hadn't President Obama taken care of Comprehensive Immigration Reform and the Dream Act bill. I realize it is a game politician play in politics. As one of my politics professor repeated in his class, "it is a mean and nasty world, only for big boys and girls," [referring to politics]. Now, I realize it is all true, no matter their "sweet talk" to the public. Don't get me wrong. I guess it is part of the job. I admit that, but at least be considerate and conscious about reality, about these human beings being deprived of their opportunity to contribute back to society. Their potential is being restricted. 

I felt sad, I felt nostalgic. I began to recollect feelings I once felt in the past when I too, was hopeful but soon learned the bill had failed. I could have been facing this situation myself once again. But I thank God for blessing me with a different situation. Not too long ago, I wore the same shoes, but just because I run with different shoes, I should be humble and keep fighting for the cause! I should not be a hypocrite by ignoring this situation. The quote "once a dreamer, always a dreamer" is very close to my heart. I now pray to God to keep these DREAMERS safe and give them strength to keep enduring what is left until the passage of the Dream Act or a Comprehensive Immigration Reform. They can count on my support. I am in favor of a CIR, not amnesty, but that is an issue left for enlightenment for another day! 

With this I strongly urge you all to help this cause. Most people lose hope and don't graduate because they don't realize there are people going through the same situation. We need to reach to those people. As long as they keep doing what they have to do; that is go to school, get good grades, become role models in the community. Unfortunately, they drop out, join gangs,  what-not.  I am not justifying their actions, but if they were given the opportunity I am sure the results would be a lot different.  Your contributions could be made by prayer, spreading the word, calling, and emailing your senators to urge them to co-sponsor the Dream Act Bill. 

PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELF, AND JOIN ME IN SUPPORT OF THIS CAUSE! 

"EDUCATION NOT DEPORTATION"

For more information about the DREAM Act visit 

Warm Respect,
A very Compassionate Republican
Here I leave you with a letter from a DREAMER who is still hopeful regardless of the setbacks!



Dear Friends, 

From the day I learned I was undocumented, I have always wondered how I could change this status that seemed to follow me everywhere.  Not only did I worry about myself and my limitations, but the millions of others souls who felt the same pain I suffer through on a daily basis.  Not being able to do the things that everyone else around you was doing always weighted heavily on me.  While everyone else was furthering their education, moving forward and experiencing the great things life has to offer, I was secluded to my own mind.  I was left wondering what I could do to make a difference.

December 5th, 2009 I realized I could not sit around anymore and watch the days pass.  I felt like every second I spent feeling sorry for myself and the people around me, was a second of happiness that I would never get back.  I decided to create this page for the sole purpose of educating people about the difficulties we face as undocumented youth here in this country.  I was incredible to find out how many people had never even heard of the DREAM Act, a legislation that has been up and down (and around) congress for about a decade now. I knew this was the answer the minute immigration reform failed in 2007.  I realized that an overhaul of the system would be unlikely to pass anytime soon.  The DREAM Act has been the answer to our problems ever since.  Now, it will be brought up for vote.  This vote will decide if it will be added as an amendment to the Defense Authorization Bill tomorrow (Sept. 21st), around 2:15 pm ET.  This, in context, will decide much of our future.

I know we are a resilient bunch.  Most of us come from hard-working families who live day by day to see a better tomorrow.  I know who we are, we know who we are.  I have gotten the chance to talk to many of you one-on-one and hear your stories.  This helped me realize that we are all the same.  Your story is no different from mine.... I came from Colombia with my family about 10 years ago looking for safety and a better future.  Due to unfortunate circumstances, we remained in this country, undocumented and with fear of returning to a place I would rather not remember.I love my country, but I saw some things there, as a child, that I never want to experience ever again.  Some of you may or may not have experienced violence first-hand before, but I know the hunger for success is something we all have in common.  Here I am now, waiting to get my chance to show what I am capable of.  I think I have used this time wisely, gathering up one of the most incredible group of individuals known to humanity... The DREAMERS of the United States of America. 

This battle we have fought together has been an incredible one.  I have gotten to know so many amazing people and share information with many individuals.  That's not to say that I have not encountered any resistance.  Several times, I have received messages from people who oppose our cause, calling for me to delete the page and "leave the country immediately."  To those people: Im still here, and I will continue to be here until God decides otherwise.  The page lives, more than ever. Deal with it.

We have called, we have E-mailed, we have faxed, many have walked, marched, fasted and even been arrested for this cause.  To each and every one of you, I THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.  To those few who know who is behind this page and "Difference maker," I want to THANK YOU so much for the support you have given me.  To someone I consider a friend/brother, fellow Dreamer Alonso Chehade: Bro, you inspired me with your fight to stop your deportation.  It was your efforts that led me to believe that anything was possible.  Thank you for being there and I have enjoyed working with you the few times we got to work together towards this cause.  You're a great man and your future is as bright as anyone I have ever met.  To the people who constantly post (Luke, Mayra, Maria Kitzmiller , Luis Serrano, IVan, Ismail, Jaime, Oscar, Daniel Fren, and everyone else (Sorry I can't remember all on top of my head!!) THANK YOU Guys, you inspire me :) .....  Thank you to "Cuentame" and "Being Latino" for being part of this movement as well, You guys are awesome!!! 

There have been long nights, even longer days working with the page, designing pictures, trying to spread the word, messaging curious people back and contacting senators.  At this time, there is not much else we can do to help our cause.  The battle has been fought, now we will soon find out our results.  NO MATTER What happens tomorrow afternoon and in the upcoming days, I will ALWAYS be proud to have been a part of such an amazing collection of human beings.  NO MATTER what the final decision turns out to be, I will always know that we did the very best we could do.  I'm so proud of what we have been able to achieve.  I'm so proud of us!!!

I also want you all to know that if it does not pass tomorrow, I will keep fighting.  Dream Act 2010 is not going anywhere.  Eventually, there will have to be an immigration overhaul (or Comprehensive Immigration Reform) and I assure you that the DA2010 page will be in the middle of it again, informing and updating every move. If you pray, make sure tonight, you pour your heart out.  God (or whoever you may believe in) is with us.  That's what we must never forget.  Everything happens for a reason.

I have said this before, but I want you all to know that I love you guys!! and Never forget this:

WE ARE ONE.

Sincerely,
Dream Agent J

No comments:

Post a Comment